Home Up Kitchen Restoration Kissam Barn Adams House



The 1795 Dr. Daniel Kissam House Museum
434 Park Avenue
Huntington, NY 11743

The museum, and the Arsenal, across the street, will be open in December for Special Tours
Saturdays, December 13 and 20, from 1:00 t0 4:00 pm
The current exhibit in the Kissam museum is a fascinating study of Victorian Wake Customs

This Video was prepared by channel 12 in 2006 when the historic garden was upgraded



The Kissam house property is central to many of the Huntington Historical Society's Outreach and Education activities.  In addition to having a room summarizing the Kissam family history, housing the costume collection in the attic and hosting many of the Society's artifacts, the property and barn are used for the festivals, the Wine Tasting and the Society's Annual meetings.  The house will be open for tours by appointment.  Please call the office for an appointment.  It is not Open Holidays.  See a Map for the location.

The house now standing on this historic site, one of the original home-lots that faced the old Town Green, was built in 1795 by Timothy Jarvis, a housewright. It was first occupied by Dr. Daniel Whitehead Kissam, a physician from Oyster Bay. Considered one of the most outstanding three-quarter plan houses on Long Island, it is noted for its fine architectural details.

In 1840, Dr. Charles Sturges, the son-in-law of Dr. Kissam, added a "modern" kitchen wing and converted the old kitchen to a formal dining room. As you visit this room, take special note of the Egyptian Revival woodwork that was inspired by America's interest in archaeological expeditions in Egypt during that time.

This home was purchased from the estate of Hilda Taylor in 1967. Restoration and reinterpretation of the interior was begun by the Society in 1984.  In 2006 the Kitchen wing, which had been upgraded to a working 20th Century kitchen, was restored to, its 1840 configuration.  A working 20th century kitchen was built into a section of the Museum Shop which is attached to the barn.  This restoration was accomplished with significant funding from the Kissam family, and donations from the Society membership.

Located at 434 Park Avenue, one block south of New York State, Route 25A, this National Register property is open to the public, but is shown by appointment only. Closed Holidays. There is a small admission fee.  For information please call (631) 427-7045, Ext. 404.