Home Up

 

 

"From Farm Houses to Country Living"
Huntington Transitions, 1750-1925

    This year’s tour includes 5 private homes that have been built by descendants of, or on the land of, three of the earliest families who settled the Huntington area in the late1600’s.  The Scudder, Conklin and Jones families all trace their roots back to the earliest history of the area.  The tour illustrates the continuing use of these houses from their historic beginnings to the present day.
      You will visit two farm houses of the early 19th century. One relatively large house that sits overlooking the harbor as well as a smaller farm house that is secluded in an idyllic setting near the village. Both reflect their original construction and use.  You will also visit two houses that each have transitioned from one use into more elegant homes over the years.  The fifth house reflects the growth of the village as the residential area moved to the outskirts of the expanding commercial area in the early 20th century. 
     The headquarters of the tour will be the Historical Society’s own 1795 Dr. Daniel Whitehead Kissam House at 434 Park Avenue which will also be open for tours that day.  The Kissam House as well as the 5 private historic homes will be decorated for the holidays and refreshments will be served in the Kissam Barn.  Several doll houses, modeled after historic homes on Park Avenue as well as a brief video of the 1907-1920 Winter Carnival’s bob-sled races down Main Street will also be displayed in the barn. 
      We also want to thank our Sponsors this year.  See the list at the bottom of this page.

1806 Jones House “Airslie”
The original part of the house was built in 1806 by Major William Jones, a former cavalry officer. Built in the Federal style, it features a broad heavy paneled front door framed by slim, reeded pilasters and sidelights filled with 16 panes of glass.  The two-and-a-half story residence was covered by a Dutch-influenced gambrel roof and had exposed brick chimneys at both ends of the main section.  A long two-story ell extending out from the west (rear) wall of the house was added sometime before 1855 when the house was owned by the Willard Family, who gave it the name of “Airslie.” The two story octagonal bay  windows were added to both ends of the house later in the 1870-1880 period.  It sits on a rise with spectacular views of Cold Spring Harbor.


Front Porch


View from Porch

1835 Conklin Farmhouse
Built in 1835 by Joseph Warren Conklin, this recently designated landmark house has not significantly changed from its days as an early farm dwelling. The door surround, with pilasters, sidelights, and a transom, and with small windows under the eaves are characteristically Greek Revival. The house retains its original wide plank flooring, a mantel in the living room and early doors throughout the house. Although the land has been built up with modern houses, this wonderful historic structure survives off the road in an idyllic setting. 

1925 Charles B. Scudder House
Charles B. Scudder was a very successful merchant and landowner in the Village of Huntington at the end of the 19th century and early 20th century.  He was an 8th generation Scudder in Huntington, descending from the first Thomas Scudder who settled here in the 1650’s.  In 1924, when the business district of the village was extending south along New York Avenue, he sold the property between East Carver Street and Fairview Ave where his house and the house of his father stood and built this early 20th century brick house on vacant land located up the hill to the east.  The Village of Huntington which up until this time was a mixture of residential homes and businesses was transitioning into a strictly commercial area.   This ‘modern’ house of its day represents the beginning of this change for residences outside the business district and the present owners have recently brought the house back to its early 20th century elegance. 


C. B. Scudder who built the House

1740 Jacob Sammis House
This building, known locally as "The Arsenal" was built  by Joseph Wicks as a granary.  The structure was sold to Gershom Sexton, who converted it to a dwelling in 1748 by adding a chimney bay and a rear lean-to.  Job Sammis bought the house in 1751 and raised six children here.  He added the west bedroom in about 1765.  In 1775 he offered the use of his home to the 1st Suffolk County Regiment of the revolutionary militia to use as an arsenal and a place of assembly.  Weapons, ammunition and equipment were stored here until the end of August, 1776 when the militia assembled here and deployed to the battle of Long Island.


 

1750 George W. Scudder House
Thomas Scudder was one of the first settlers of the area, coming to Huntington in the 1650’s and settling here at what would have been considered the head of Huntington Harbor.  The original part of this house was built in the mid 1700’s as a smaller farm house and enlarged into a center hall Federal Style house around 1800. Toward the end of the 19th century porches and interior woodwork of the Victorian Period were added to give us the house we see today.  George Washington Scudder, a 7th generation Scudder in Huntington, lived in the house during the latter half of the 19th century and had a store on the property. This property had been in the Scudder family for over 250 years when it was sold in the early 20th century.

And the Kissam House and Barn

Thanks to the Sponsors who make this house tour possible.

Scott T. Sammis

Old Huntington
Green Inc.

Starbucks Coffee

Nathan Hale
Garden Club

The Flower Petaler