Home Up

 

 

"The Art of the House"

The Huntington Historical Society 2008 Holiday Historic House Tour offered five houses for your holiday enjoyment.  Each of the five houses featured works of art ranging from classical to contemporary.  Several homes also displayed works by the very talented homeowners, both on canvas and in sculpture.
The highlight of the tour was the mid-19th century mansion, shown below, high on a hill overlooking  Huntington harbor.  Described, by the Executive Director of SPLIA as "One of the best kept secrets on the North Shore of Long Island," it featured high ceilings, spacious living quarters, including an oak paneled ballroom, and paintings and sculptures by the mansion's most recent residents, the late Jean and Joseph Mack.
The houses on this tour are treasures of the community, and we were indeed fortunate to be able to offer them to you.
 

 

Other Houses on the Tour

This well preserved house was constructed in the 1750's with an addition in 1840.  Changes through the 20th century have kept the historic character of the house while transforming the residence to modern day living.  The original fireplace in the dining room would have been in the corner and backed up to a similar fireplace in present day kitchen.  The handsome marble mantel with its rounded brass and iron opening, dates from the mid 19th century.

This house was built for Orlando Baylis before 1860 in the 5 bay, center hall, Federal style of an earlier era.  The house is constructed in a traditional post and beam framing style with hand hewn and pegged locust posts still visible in the basement.  It was built without central heating, electricity or any indoor plumbing.  Despite alterations, it remains remarkably intact with original clapboard siding, windows and sashes, doors and moldings.
This 1907 house was designed by Benjamin S. Conklin for Charles H. Street.  It is a fine example of homes built in the early 20th century in the Nassau Road area as the village of Huntington's residential district expanded to the east and south of the commercial district.  Although there was a 1920's addition, the original floor plan remains intact with several of the fireplaces retaining their original mantels, tile work, and inserts.
This house was built by architect James W. O'Connor in 1939.  He was also the designer of the "Electric Home" in the New York 1939's Worlds Fair in Flushing, "Town of Tomorrow" exhibit.  After the fair closed, he had the exhibit house moved next door to this house and rebuilt on its own property.  The house has been described as "French Cottage Style" with its peak to ground sloping facade using stone and stucco facing.

 

And Refreshments