Home Up

 

 

 

Please help us to raise the $250,000 needed to complete this project.
 
Since it's founding in 1903, the Huntington Historical Society has been at the forefront in preserving Long Island's history.  The heart and soul of the Society is its rich collection of archival material from throughout Huntington's three and a half century history.

Over the century of its existence, the Society has acquired an extensive collection of archival  material dating from the Town's founding in the seventeenth century through the twentieth century.  This irreplaceable treasure trove is housed in the 1905 Trade School Building on Main Street, one of the four National Register properties owned by the Society.


Current Storage


Current Storage

When the Society acquired the Trade School building in 1983 the building provided enough space for the administrative offices on the top floor, new exhibit space on the Main Street level and the resource center on the lower level.  Within ten years, however, the archival collection in the resource center had grown to such an exetent that the exhibit space had to be sacrificed.  Now after the continued growth of the archives collection, the two floors devoted to the resource center are not enough.

The solution is the construction of an addition to the building that will more that double the space available for preservation of the archival collection without adversely impacting the architecture of historic character of the existing building.


Rolling Shelves similar to Final Storage


Rolling Shelves similar to Final Storage

The Society has been awarded a $400,000 grant from the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation,  An additional $400,000 has already been raised from private sources.  We need an additional $250,000 to complete this project.